Nursing homes operate on the honor system - pretty much the same way that all medical care is provided.  They are able to put their own spin on anything, making it difficult to hold them accountable.
     Take a recent family member's situation.  He was in his mid 50's, with one leg amputated and in need of 24-hour care.  When we walked into the room to visit him, the staff was rude as hell.  One nurse threw away the power of attorney (healthcare) form he had completed and the family had to scramble to get another one faxed to them when he was signed onto hospice.  The nursing home social worker then refused to honor the document and completed another one with him, naming a friend as his decision-maker - even though he wasn't able to make decisions at that point.  They treated the family like shit, gave him full meals even though he had no teeth and was dying.  We walked into the room to find this cold meal:

He had bedsores, he was in pain and the staff was apathetic, and when I pointed out he wasn't able to eat the meal (above) they told me that "dietary services decides who gets what."   I pointed out to them that not only was it obvious the food had been sitting there for some time and he wasn't able to chew it, the grizzle on the meat was disgusting and inedible.  They told me it wasn't their problem and pretended to take a phone call.
     Another friend had a family member there and they said that their experience was worse - and that they hadn't had one positive encounter with the staff there.  This nursing home received a "Two star = below average" rating from Medicare.  Yet it receives the same reimbursement from Medicare and Medicaid and other than paying a few fines, are allowed to continue to provide shitty-ass care.  It's cheaper to pay the fines than it is to provide quality care from caring professionals.

Comments

10/19/2015 4:20am

You have done a brilliant job making sure that people understand where you are coming from. And let me tell you, I get it. Please post more updates to cure.

10/30/2015 4:43pm

What an incredible story - pretty sad to hear. But it's good to see people like you bring this type of practice into light and helps those comparing senior living options and what they need to be looking for and avoiding.

06/10/2016 2:26pm

In the wake of perusing your article I was stunned. I realize that you clarify it extremely well. What's more, I trust that different perusers will likewise encounter how I feel in the wake of perusing your article. I feel extremely appreciative that I read this. It is extremely useful and exceptionally instructive and I truly took in a great deal from it.

07/06/2016 4:05am

Hi I just wanted to tell you that I did enjoy my visit to your site and to wish you all the best with it in the coming years - Zion Alicante

08/03/2016 8:37am

We should be very careful from our atmosphere because there are so many people in our society who are doing a lot of fraud with others in different stages and matters of life. They don’t want to see others happy.

08/19/2016 5:48am

I have got intersting tips and points here after reading this thenursinghomesurvivalguide blog, really very informative site I ever seen here. Keep doing in the same way with crappy care honor system.

09/21/2016 4:04am

This article will provide the client with some suggestions and guidelines for writing an effective design brief. Providing this information to your graphic designer will help you both in concept development.

10/06/2016 10:36am

There are so many great reasons to become a Certified Nursing Assistant: plenty jobs available; choices in work environments; the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives every day; and the ability to earn a good living. The average annual salary for a CNA is almost $30,000. Read this article for more information on becoming a CNA.

10/07/2016 10:32pm

Copy pasting is the strategy of utilizing or closely imitating the language or thoughts of an author and claiming it to be an original creation. It truly is related to the gain of untrue popularity by creating false claims about her work.

12/01/2016 5:57pm

Not sure what you mean by plagiarizing - this is my site and I do not plagiarize nor do I condone anyone doing so. I wrote every word of my book and am proud to have done so.

02/04/2017 3:41am

Why do you stop blogging? It was very interesting to read.

12/16/2016 3:33am

After all these videos are figured it was time to write a regular blog post. So I'll talk a bit about my favorite way to write blog posts and articles.